Links to common questions and policies:
If you cannot find the answers you are looking for, or would like to contact us for any reason, please do so using this form. We are also generally available via instagram inbox.
GET IN TOUCH
PAYMENTS and PRE-ORDERS
We offer 2 secure checkout methods:
Paypal Express which can be accessed directly on certain pages without going through the main checkout page only.
Stripe which is available at the main checkout page.
Visa, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover are accepted by both systems.
From time to time we offer the opportunity to pre-order high demand goods that are in manufacture or in transit but not yet in our hands.
Each campaign is different, and specific payment and ordering details will be available on the item page itself.
CHOOSING THE RIGHT STYLE FOR YOUR FACE.
At Hatsmithe, we firmly believe that you shouldn’t be restricted by preconceived ideas about whether a particular hat, or even if any, will suit you. If you fall in love with a certain hat, then that is the right hat for you!
Because it’s all about how your wear it, how you tip it, if you keep it crisp, or prefer it to look more lived in, is it a shield or a statement. That’s the beauty of hats, how each person makes theirs uniquely their own, regardless of shape or style.
Having said that, the size is important because it determines where the hat sits, from lower down over the ears (bigger), to perched high up on the back of your head (smaller). So, with that in mind…
Please be sure to order the correct size to avoid any disappointments.
It is generally better to err on the larger choice if you are wavering between two sizes as we ship every hat with a piece of foam (upcycled from manufacturers packaging) that can be placed under the inner sweatband to reduce the fit up to 1 size.
But, again, this will be determined by how you prefer to wear your hat.
To get the correct measurement you will need a cloth measuring tape which you should wrap around your head both at it’s widest and also at the position you most like to wear your hats in order to get the best idea
Our company manufactures to measurements based on the metric system, so using a tape with centimeters will provide the most accuracy.
|Inches||21 5/8″||22 1/2″||23 1/4″||24″|
|USA sizes||6 7/8||7 1/8||7 3/8||7 5/8|
HOW TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR HAT
You will need to take care of your Hatsmithe the same way you would any structured fedora, so while our materials are very durable, allowing your hat to get crushed, leaving it inside a hot car, or crumpled while damp for instance, will ruin the shape of any good brim. To ensure your hat always looks fresh, just follow the simple guidelines below:
HAIR, DUST, LINT and OTHER SUPERFICIAL PARTICLES:
Your hat can be kept clean by gently brushing away particles in the same direction as the nap using a soft hat or clothing brush.
Dabbing linty areas with invisible tape around a finger and then lightly brushing afterwards to smooth the nap also does the trick. You can target stubborn pet hair etc. with a lint roller, but use carefully and sparingly, again, smoothing the nap down with a soft brush afterwards.
DIRT and STAINS:
Depending on the type of stain, you can spot clean by dabbing (not rubbing) the area with a clean, damp cloth and a tiny amount of a gentle detergent, then dabbing away any excess moisture with another clean cloth and allowing your hat to air dry.
Do not dry clean, launder or immerse in water.
RAIN AND DRYING:
Our hats can withstand getting a little wet in a light shower for instance, but are not waterproof per se and best not worn in heavy rains.
If your hat does get wet, always let it dry before wearing again or storing. We generally recommend letting them air dry, brim-side up unless the brim is flat, in which case you can lay it down flat on a towel to dry.
If you want your hat to maintain its shape, careful storage is key.
- Always allow wet fedoras to air dry before hanging or storing.
- Hats not only look great hanging on a wall, but they can also be safely “stored” this way, taking care with the choice of hook (nothing too pointy).
- Otherwise, they can be kept on shelves or in storage boxes, with plenty of room around them (so as not to crush or bend).
- If stacking a few styles together, make sure they go from smallest to largest, with the heavier hats at the bottom of the stack.
- Curved brims are best stored on their crown, brim up. Flat brims are the opposite.
- You can also consider covering them with a protective dust bag (especially black!)
FLAT BRIM CARE:
In addition to the general instructions above, care must be taken with our flat brim styles not to “crimp” the wired edge as this can result in a tiny, but permanent ding. This should not happen with normal wear and tear, but is something to be aware of.
The flatness of the brim can be refreshed from time-to-time with a quick ironing as follows:
- you may spritz the brim with a good quality spray starch before ironing to provide some stiffness, but this is not necessary.
- be sure to follow the instructions that come with the spray starch if using.
- to begin: lay the hat, brim down, on an ironing board or other covered, flat surface.
- place a folded cotton bandanna or other cotton fabric in between the iron and the brim while lightly pressing and ironing for a few seconds.
- allow the hat to cool down completely in this flat position before moving or wearing.
- NEVER place a hot iron in direct contact with our fedoras as this will cause scorching and damage.